Monday, July 11, 2005

Camping for the first time

My second cousing Bekah came to stay with us on Friday, after staying with Tia and Sammer for a couple weeks. Mom and I went shopping for camping and then picked her up, and then went home to get the car loaded and pick up dad and zac and the dogs up for our first ever camping trip. We had tried to camp in Tucson back in February, but got rained out. We were hoping for better weather this time. We drove to Glenwood Springs, Colorado - about 3 hours away and looked for a camp site. We were able to get one easy - mom and dad were happy. It was fun setting up our huge "fort" - it almost didn't fit in the campsite, and getting everything set up. Bekah was a huge help for mommy, as she kept zac entertained, and watched me as I zoomed in and out of the fort. We were set up in time to make dinner and then walked around the campsite to explore the showers - pretty gross, but the exciting thing was there was a bear in a tree in the campground. Dad was really worried, so he had all of us go to bed and kept watch. He finally came in the tent too and we all went to bed - Bekah and I slept well, but zac was up a lot and so were mom and dad. Mom was pretty grumpy in the morning since she was practically falling off the mattress all night with zac in there with them.
The next day we went to the hot springs and swam - it was fun, but I had a major melt down by 11am. I guess I didn't sleep that well. Izaac was asleep in mom's arms, so we went back to the tent to make bean burros and try and take naps. Yeah right. It was SO hot. We were all roasting in the tent, but I guess I has enough quiet time, as I settled down. So mom decided it was time to go back to the hot springs to swim. Dad stayed with the dogs - took them for a walk, because it would have been too hot to leave them in the car. I had a great time. Bekah and I went down the slide while mom and zac swam in the pool. We left when it started to thunder and lightning, and we all took good showers and then headed back to the fort. By then zac and I were totally exhausted and slept in the car. They left us in the car ( it was cooler then) and we slept for almost 2 hours. Then out to dinner at a brewery in town and then back to the fort for bed. We all slept well that night.
Sunday we got up and had an early breakfast, went for a walk to the river and then packed up for home. We drove part way and stopped outside of Vail for a picnic and fishing, then made it home. I was ballistic on the way home after fishing, because mom wanted to drive the pickup - she had had enough of driving us kids, and I wanted to be with her. I convinced her to let me ride with her but still was not happy. She pulled over after 30 minutes and moved me back to the 4runner. I was not happy, and dad had a miserable drive home, but we all survived our first camping trip.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great trip. my dad was wondering how long it took your dad to put up your tent. he's geussing 45 minutues.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a fun and exhausting trip! I laughed out loud with moving Izzie back into the 4-runner! They must be keeping your hands full, and getting so big!!! Amy